Rich, sweet and creamy, this caramel apple dip recipe is the perfect healthy snack, appetizer, or dessert, especially in the late summer and fall when apples are in season.
The kids will love it, and so will the adults. In fact, the best time to make this dip is right after you go apple-picking. Your apples will be at their best, and everyone will be in the mood for something that tastes like Fall.
Although this dip is designed to be served with apples (to get that caramel apple flavor), it is also delicious when served with pretzel sticks, banana slices, pear slices, or angel food cake chunks.
Choose a good, juicy eating apple to serve with this apple dip recipe, such as Granny Smith, Fuji, Honeycrisp or Gala. If you live in the eastern part of the United States, Golden Delicious apples are also a good choice. Be sure to leave the skin on your apple slices. That’s where a lot of the apple’s fiber and nutrients are.
If you don’t like your snacks too sweet, go easy on the brown sugar. In fact, this cream cheese apple dip is quite tasty with just a tablespoon or two of lightly-packed brown sugar. Of you can try a tablespoon of brown sugar and a teaspoon of pure vanilla extract in place of the quarter-cup of brown sugar. The dip will still be plenty sweet; it will just have fewer calories.
If you like this apple recipe, you may also want to try making homemade chunky applesauce, taffy apple salad, glazed apple tart, autumn baked apples, Fuji apple walnut chicken salad, or apple coffee cake.
Caramel Apple Dip Recipe
- 1 8 oz. package low-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel) or whipped cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup non-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 4 medium crisp and juicy eating apples, sliced with the skin on
- juice of one or two lemons
- Combine the cream cheese, yogurt and brown sugar in a small mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Toss apple slices with lemon juice to prevent browning. Serve dip with apple slices.
Makes 8 servings (2 tablespoons of the dip and half of an apple each)
Per serving: 141 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 18 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein, 7% vitamin A, 5% vitamin C, 4% calcium, 2% iron