With most chili recipes, you can adjust the seasonings to make it as spicy as you like. With this chili recipe, you have to adjust the salsa. The hotter the salsa, the hotter this chili will be.
I make this chili recipe in my favorite Staub dutch oven.
Chili Con Carne
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (85% – 90%)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz. can chili beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup prepared salsa (homemade or your favorite brand)
- 1 14 oz. can fire-roasted diced tomatoes (such as Muir Glen)
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- 1 cup beer
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 3 green onions, sliced (optional)
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
Crumble ground beef in a dutch oven or large heavy saucepan with onion over medium heat. Cook until browned. Drain off fat. Return to pot. Add remaining ingredients through beer. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 1-1-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve topped with green onions and cheese, if desired.