Himalayan salt is a gourmet salt, also known as halite or rock salt. It is mined at Khewra Salt Mine in Pakistan which is the second largest salt mine in the world and various companies in Europe, North America and Australia began to market it at the beginning of the twenty-first century. It is now one of the most sought-after salts in the world.
It is free from anti-caking agents, conditioners and free-flowing additives and contains eighty-four minerals and trace elements that are essential to ensure the body functions normally. Himalayan salt is not just eaten by humans, livestock owners have used it for a long time as salt licks for their animals as it is very hard and does not disintegrate in bad weather and is also very beautiful.
Himalayan salt is either off-white or transparent or pink Himalayan salt which is reddish or pink in color. The two different colors come from the same mine and have the same properties as each other, but pink Himalayan salt is also used for other purposes in addition to a food supplement. As opposed to ordinary table sale which is detrimental to health because it prematurely kills human cells by dehydration, Himalayan crystal salt actually encourages healthy cell fluid balance.
Benefits of Himalayan Salt
- In its raw natural form it is rich in nutrients and minerals
- The elements found in each grain of Himalayan salt are naturally found in our bodies and in the environment so these are easily absorbed into human cells.
- It is non-GMO
- It is mined from ancient sea salt deposits and is one hundred per cent natural.
Pink Himalayan Salt Uses
Mined from the same place this is a natural pink crystal mineral sea salt which has had no artificial color added to it. It is even more beautiful than the white or translucent Himalayan salt. It replenishes the body with minerals and trace elements essential for a healthy lifestyle just like the Himalayan salt. But because of its natural beauty pink Himalayan salt is used for other purposes in addition to adding it to food. Alternatives uses are listed below.
1. Bath crystals. A jar of pink Himalayan bath crystals enhances any bathroom and added as bath salts when they dissolve your body receives the benefits.
2. Salt Lamps. These are becoming very popular because of their extreme beauty. It is necessary to mine larger pink Himalayan salt crystals to create a salt lamp as they must be in one piece. The crystal is then carved into an attractive shape and an incandescent light bulb or candle is placed inside. A pink Himalayan salt lamp gives a beautiful glow and is perfect for mood lighting.
Himalayan Salted Double Chocolate Mint Cookies
You will need the following:
- 3/4 cups of white chocolate chips
- 9 ounces of sugar
- 7 and a half ounces of unsalted softened butter
- 2 large whole eggs
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 9 and a half ounces of AP flour
- 2.25 ounces of cocoa powder
- 1 1/8 of vanilla paste
- 1/8 of mint extract
- 3/4 tsp of Himalayan Salt
- Use a paddle on medium speed to cream the sugar and butter within a mixer.
- Be sure to only add the eggs one at a time and fully mix them each time.
- Add the rest of the dry ingredients within the mixer, then place the remaining ingredients into the mixture, but do not place the mint extract directly onto the mixture as it may curdle the eggs.
- Lower the mixer to a slower speed to help with the incorporation of the ingredients.
- After a successful incorporation of ingredients, remove them and allow them to chill while covered for a hour. While doing this preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- After letting them chill for a hour, start to divide the dough into 25 equal portions.
- Smooth the dough balls out into the desired equal shapes.
- Place them on your baking pan and into the oven.
- Allow them to bank for ten to fifteen minutes then remove them with a flat spatula.
- Enjoy or freeze again for later use!